Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Blog Post #1—An Introduction (1)

Alright, hi!  Welcome to my blog!  Now that introductions are out of the way (I'm well aware I haven't asked anything about you, but frankly I don't really care), this is my Genius Project blog.  I'll be posting here at least once every week/cycle, and in a couple of weeks there will be videos to accompany my blogs!  So that's a bit of an overview, for now.

Anyways, my project is learning the process of oboe reed making.  I've been playing oboe (see picture below!) for almost 3 years now , and I absolutely love it.  I'm also the only oboe player at the high school, so that's pretty neat, but it also means SO MUCH responsibility (and a lot of solos [which is just *perfect* for when you have performance anxiety])!  Back on topic, however, I recently noticed after attending Montco. Band (a county band that combines a bunch of high schoolers from different schools) that many high school oboe players begin making their own reeds.  Now, I always knew it would come to this--it was only a matter of time.  Additionally, I never really had much opportunity (or time) to get into reed making because of school, sports, extra curricular activites, etc.  However, this project is PERFECT for  making reeds because it forces me to set aside time doing school work to actually make reeds.

I'm very excited to begin learning how to make reeds because I already struggle with not breaking the ones I buy!  At the same time, however, I'm also very nervous for my success rate / progress because I know this is going to be a very challenging task.  Nonetheless, the Genius Project is well underway, and it can only go up hill from here... and perhaps then fall back down... but we'll get to that if and when we get there.


My Oboe
(his name is Walter and he is wonderful)

For starters, here is my motivation for wanting to pursue this activity; I've broken it down into 3 general areas.
  • Relation
    • Obviously, as I've already stated, I play the oboe.  Learning how to make reeds will allow me to climb the oboe playing ladder and really push just how serious I am about this instrument
  • Useful
    • Oboe reeds are expensive.  The average one from Amazon.com costs between $15 - $17.  By being able to make myself with reeds, I will be able to self-supply and hopefully also add a bit more of myself into my playing
  • Aspects of Thinking
    • Making reeds requires craftsmanship, patience (oh god... so much patience), precision, and handwork.  Some of these qualities I have, (hint: it's not patience) and others I could work on.  By combining these aspects into a single subject, I think I'm laying out a road to success for myself.  Plus, I love making things with my hands!
Moving on, I have a timeline of how things should roughly happen.  Keep in mind that making reeds may be easier or harder than expected, so things may shift as this project goes on.

Week 1 (this week):
  • obtain materials and resources (equipment, books, videos, tutorials, etc.)
  • begin the learning process!
Week 2:
  • continue the learning process
    • start putting the steps into action!
  • begin making a list of and contacting reed makers whom I would like to interview
Week 3:
  • learning process continues
    • go through the steps with minimal help--begin seeing progress of "mastery"
  • get the (or possibly those) interviews rolling
    • talk to experts!  write down their thoughts, suggestions, and insights
Week 4:
  • make a working reed
    • a reed that is able to be used to practice and play through a piece
      • does not have to be perfect and in no way "concert" worthy
  • interview = done
    • if the interview is not done / incorporated into this blog by the end of this week, YOU ARE VERY BEHIND!!!
  • start filming weekly videos of myself using the reeds I make
    • pick a relatively easy piece, but one that requires some amount of effort (no hot cross buns, Liv)
Week 5:
  • improve making your reeds
    • tie up any majorly loose ends; get better!
  • take a step back and look at your improvement from Week 1 to now
    • how's this going?  according to plan?  slower?  faster?  any changes that need to be acknowledged?
  • don't forget the video!

Week 6:
  • TED Talk Prep
    • look at everything you've done so far; what does it mean?  what's the relevancy?  "so what?"
    • get a script done by the end of this week--begin the editing phase
  • overview progress
    • how ya doing so far?
  • major issues that still need to be fixed?  FIX THEM
  • VIDEO
Week 7:
  • the presentation is in a week--PRACTICE!
    • have an almost solid, concrete layout for the presentation by mid-week
  • analyze progress further
    • add anything to your presentation that will enhance / help it
  • pressing issues?
    • anything you've completely forgotten to address?
  • Hint: it begins with a V and ends in "-ideo"
Week 8:
  • at this point the presentation is literally 1 Day Away
    • PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!
  • Don't forget the final blog post!
    • you may be presenting, but people are still reading
Now that you've read through my very critical timeline, here is the goal that I've set for myself by the end of this project.

Okay, well, I lied.  I've broken down the Goal™ into two parts.

The Small Goal:
  • To know how to make an oboe reed that works well enough to use during practice and band class
  • To need very little, if any, assistance to make the reed
The Big Goal:
  • To have a complete understanding as to how a reed is made beyond just making it.  That is to say, to know how to fix a reed if it isn't working properly or to know how to adjust it so that it's better than its current state
  • To set the foundation of making reeds for myself for the rest of my oboe playing career.  I'd like to gradually ween myself off of manufacturing reed brands and begin relying on only myself to supply reeds

SO HERE IT IS, my first blog post.  I apologize for its extreme length; however I really wanted to get all my thoughts down to have a sturdy baseline for future posts.  I assume that my minimally weekly/cyclical posts won't be as long as this, but I can't promise anything.  I can, however, promise that this blog is going to make you interested.  Whether or not it's because you too want to struggle for the next 8 weeks or you simply like the way I write, I assure you that this blog is going to be informative AND fun to *reed.

Now, as I haven't completed any homework other than fixing my blog layout and making this post, I suppose I should end this.  

Thanks for reading!

- OMB
*please do not deduct any points for my awful puns... they will be frequently reoccurring

P.S. If you do not know what an oboe sounds like, here is a video from the Philharmonia Orchestra in London that should give you a good idea.
[please note that I do not sound this good]

17 comments:

  1. Looking forward to reeding about your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS IS INCREDIBLE.
    YOU'RE INCREDIBLE
    I HAVE NO NOTES
    wait nvm sorry.

    how do you make a reed?
    you also didn't include what an oboe reed looks like?
    What is the process?
    is there any money you can get from this?
    at all?
    any way this affects your future?
    THis is great otherwise, but have you looked into reed making yet, and if so, where, you might want to attach them, (bc i forget what an oboe reed looks like don't tell dad)

    giving context for reeds, reed-making, and the oboe is v. important

    but this is otherwise so good (please tear mine to shreds so I can make it better)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a really nice comment! I'm glad you took my post apart this way, and I agree with a lot of your criticisms. Seeing as this was the first post, I didn't want to provide an overload of information (especially since it's over 1,000 words). I'll add a picture of an oboe reed by the end of this week. As for money, I'm not really sure. Of course, I could probably sell them to desperate oboe players on the Black Market, but I don't really have any intention of selling them unless I pursue the oboe as a career. As mentioned in my goal, making oboe reeds will allow me to supply myself with them as well as add my own unique touch to my playing.

      I will be sure to include more informational posts as the weeks go on, and I really appreciate you reading the post! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. HEY THERE MY GOOD MAN,
    If you don't post a photo of the Holy Oboe Player in the Sky on here at some point you will have me to answer to.
    NOW to business:
    I am so excited for your project!! You will now become the Strong Independent Oboe Who Don't Need No Store-Brought Reeds, and I'm so glad you chose something that, God knows, you're really passionate about!
    So I know that you were worrying before because making a reed is Really Difficult and there's a high chance of it not working. I know you said obviously the first one doesn't have to be "concert-worthy", but I was just curious: How "bad" can the reed be and still make noise, even? Obviously that wasn't something you necessarily had to address in your very first blog post, but I just wish to know. I have faith in you, but is there any chance that your reed will turn out so bad you literally can't play anything? I honestly doubt that will happen, but basically please enlighten me more on the scale of Reed Functionality.
    I ENDORSE YOUR ENDEAVORS!
    -your fav

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Photo has been added! As for your question, that is certainly an issue! However, as I addressed in my long term goal, I would love to be able to make a reed, have it make ZERO sound, and then know how to fix its issues. This is something I will need to develop, but am looking forward to learning. Additionally, I will be adding some light research on the mechanics of oboe reeds + some fun history, so that should suffice for a general understanding of information. Thanks for the comment and the positive feedback!

      Delete
  4. ok well the title made me die a little inside but i'm okay :) also i was wondering what oboe reeds were made of (which was a stupid question but i play the flute not a reed instrument) and FOUND OUT THEY WERE MADE OF A PLANT CALLED A REED so now i feel dumb but whatever

    aaanyway this sounds really fun and ~crafty~ so good luck & keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well actually, oboe reeds are made out of "Arundo donax," a type of cane that resembles bamboo in appearance. I will be posting pictures to clarify any general pictures by the end of this week! Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete
  5. I think it's great that you are making the essential part to making sound on your instrument! I've tried multiple instruments in my life, but the clarinet and oboe reeds have always intrigued me because I didn't know the significant purpose they served. Is there a certain wood (or any material) that is needed to make an oboe reed or can it be made out of anything as long as it is in the right shape?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I WISH I could make anything into an oboe, but alas, the material that oboe reeds are made out of is called an "Arundo donax," which is a cane-like substance that looks very similarly like bamboo. Additionally, the reeds of any instrument are meant to actually produce the sound in the first place. With a clarinet reed, a player has a mouthpiece and a single "layer" of reed, that is, a reed. From here, the player must produce enough air at the right embouchure (positioning of the mouth) to make the reed vibrate and then produce sound. The same applies to an oboe reed, but the only (HUGE) difference is that an oboe reed is a double reed. That is, it is two layers of cane rather than just one. Hope this helps! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  6. Hey! I love this blog, I think it's very well written and I love the tone (pun?)! I just have a question about the reed-making. You said you've noticed high school oboists are making their own reeds at this age. What is the benefit of making your own reeds instead of buying them? Is it more cost efficient, or does it give you more freedom with exploring the kind of tone you want to have? When you mentioned that you can buy reeds, that intrigued me. I really appreciate and respect the challenge you are taking on, however. I think this can be a big step for you and your oboe-filled future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very well played pun, John. The benefit of making your own reeds most definitely contributes to cost efficiency. The average QUALITY reed can range anywhere between $15 - $17 PER reed. However, you are also correct in that it will allow me to play around with the way I construct my own sound. Obviously, the way I blow air/play contributes to my tone/pitch/everything under the sun, but if I make a reed that actually fits my personal playing, my overall sound quality should be better... with some practice, of course. This was a really great question, and I really appreciate the feedback!

      Delete
    2. And yes, the usage of "played" was a pun ;)

      Delete
  7. Hey Olivia! First off, this is a super unique genius project and I can't wait to see where it takes you! I find it really interesting that rather than just becoming sub-par at a new interest, you're using this time to perfect your ability to play one that you really love. I did have a good time miserably failing at the clarinet in elementary school, but other than that I'm unfamiliar with instrument reeds. So, enlighten me. Is a handmade reed more durable? Does it mold to your mouth shape? Does it taste any better? I love the personal thought and passion that you have for this project and I can't wait to see you embark on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry I never saw this! Thanks for all the positive feedback! As for your questions, a handmade reed is probably actually less durable. See, manufactured reeds are *meant* to last long and do the job, simple as that. However, the quality of a handmade reed is FAR better than anything you could ever buy because it is literally made by you, for you. It doesn't mold as it is used, but more so it's cut to fit the way you play. I think all cane tastes the same--kinda sweet but mostly just like you're eating wood. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  8. Hi Olivia! Although I found your post a bit too long, I really enjoyed your tone and all of the puns :) . As a former clarinet player (like hot cross buns level, though), I remember my reed breaking very often, so I think it's great that you can make your own. I found it very interesting that by making your own reed, you could change the sound your oboe makes, so I would definitely like to read more about that in your next blog post. Thanks, and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just saw this, my bad! But, haha, yeah... Sorry! And thank you so, so much! I'm looking forward to see how this progresses as well, and I'm glad you commented!

      Delete