Thursday, March 16, 2017

Extra Blog Post #2—S C R E A M [feat. an interview] (VLOG)

IT'S ALIVE!  HERE is the link to my interview with Heidi Brann, oboist and reed maker.  Seeing as it's still ~20 minutes long, I've created a legend to help you navigate your way through the video.

Legend [things in red are the most important bits to watch!]
0:00- How long have you been making reeds?
1:21- What made you want to sell reed products as part of your career, rather than just playing?
1:48- Would you say that at this point, you spend more time making reeds than actually playing?
3:28- Being a good oboe player vs. having a good reed
3:52- Would you say that making reeds has helped your playing, musicianship, and sound quality? [4:24 - 4:53 is particularly interesting for this question]
7:00- What makes a reed "American" vs. "European"?
8:47- The "family tree" of oboe players
9:03- Classical Music: Is it dying?
10:29- Tips and Tricks
14:01- More tips and tricks!
15:52- Any last words???
17:17- Conclusion

Now, since this post is titled "S C R E A M [feat. an interview]," you probably realized that the interview isn't the most important thing here—you're right.  So, from "S C R E A M," you can probably guess that I've either a) reached my breaking point and am now preparing my death, OR b) made a reed that makes sound...

THE LATTER IS TRUE, AND I AM FREAKING OUT!!!  Before I go any further, I sincerely apologize to my gifted class for having to endure my extreme (and disruptive) shock when the reed made the tiniest bit of noise; however, I also greatly appreciate all the positive feedback from it, so thank you guys!

Now, to continue, let me set the stage, so to speak, with a *vlog:


like if you see my dog :]

And for some photos...

she's beauty
she's grace

WELL, that's it for this second Extra Blog Post!  I'm so, so happy with how things are going, and I'd LOVE to hear some feedback on what you all think!

As I promised, here's another bad music joke:

Oboist: Did you hear my last recital?
Friend: I hope so.

Thanks for reading!

- OMB

*TECHNICALLY, I posted my interview before my vlog, so is this legal?

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE YOU, YOUR VLOG, YOUR DOG, WALTER THE OBOE, WALTER THE REED, AND YOUR JOKES. I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!

    ReplyDelete